Friday, January 29, 2010

So much to do so little time...

I'm not one of those people who would ever be content with conventional life. You know the image I'm talking about: the husband, a litter of precocious kids, 2.3 pets of various mortality rates,flower pots, a car, gardening on the weekends in canvas gloves, bake sales where everyone makes the same nanaimo bars, grandma's silverware, and flower embossed plates.

These things are lovely, and I'm not going to lie and say that these aren't things that I want. I would love to be satisfied with such a picturesque life. But in my hands, these things would not be picturesque for long.

That husband would soon be overweight thanks to all the mac and cheese I'll stuff him full of; the precocious kids would probably drive me to drink (as precocious kids tend to do); the 2.3 pets would be one by one, flushed down the toilet due to neglect, and then I'd probably have plumbing troubles, cause you aren't supposed to flush puppies down the toilet; I'd trip over the flower pots in a drunken stumble, crash the car and leave the garden to the grubs and aphids; grandma's silverware would tarnish, or get pawned, and the flower plates? Well I'd probably smash them upon sight. Flower plates? Who wants to eat off those?

My life will be something different. There are so many things I want to do in my life. Just the lessons alone would render my poor children motherless. Here's a taste of all the things I want to learn:
1. Spanish
2. French
3. Painting - proper painting - not this amateur stuff I'm passing off for art now.
4. Dancing: flamenco, belly, swing, pole - you name it, I wanna be able to do it.
5. Cooking - so I don't have to live off mac and cheese anymore
6. beekeeping
7. stunt driving
8. mountaineering
9. Highdiving
10. Curling
11. Luge
12. Skiing
13. Sewing
14. carpentry
15. Welding
16. Skydiving
17. Yoga
18. Capoera

Really, with all these things on the horizon, who has time for a regular life? Plus there are a few hundred places in the world I still want to visit, and no one wants to be on a 12 hour flight with a bunch of precocious children.

G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't even like 45 minute flights with children... I'm the girl in the airport glaring at the babies, sending then mental messages to fly with someone else...